Monday, July 14, 2008

Orz

If you don't like reading long ass rants, stop here and go read some other blog today......OK you are still reading so I guess you are curious to hear what I think.

"Orz" for me as I understand it, is a picture of a person on hands and knees in distress, despair, frustration etc. Its depicts how any situation in which it is used is just silly, stupid, retarded, dumb, annoying, frustrating, sad etc.

Well this "picture" describes my thoughts and feelings to the recent goings on in our linkshell more than adequately.

It all started with a couple of core linkshell members deciding they were going to head for greener pastures on another server. Orz, okay, fine. If thats what it takes for you to enjoy this game we pay $20 a month for, then fine. Do what you have to do to make the game fun for you. Its a GAME after all.
But in saying that, it is a game in which you have to interact with other people and therefore have a bearing on how much they in turn enjoy the game. This game really shows some interesting characteristics people have. On one hand, the internet allows people to slag each other relentlessly and mercilessly on forums, in game etc without consequence due to the annonimity (is that a word? blogger doesn't think so) the interwebs provide but if that person had the same beef in real life, face to face with the other person, GUARANTEED 99% of those people would be far more polite about it. On the other hand, you might notice the selfishness that I'd put money on the fact that these people are so inclined in real life.

The biggest thing I notice more than anything is the level of common courtesy that people lack in this game. If it is something that is a pain for you to do in this game, you just don't do it regardless if it would only take you 2 minutes and help someone else out immensely. Especially if that someone has done things for you in the past. Lets use Infamouszero as our example...
I approached him to join our Nyzul group because I knew he was good at what he did and that he would like some of the Askar gear especially the body. I bring him into the group, try to make his life (as I do for the other members) as easy as possible for the runs and make it an enjoyable and successful event each week. The group exceeds so well that we reach floor 80 quite easily and start farming some bodies for people. Now Zero has been with us for a couple of months at this time which is far less than 2 others that have been with me from either the start or soon thereafter. The 2nd Korazin drops (I took the first one after passing on a few other pieces earlier in the climbing) and I give it to Zero to show my appreciation for his help and dedication to the group making the other 2 who have been there far longer (but did get an item or 2 from lower floors) wait till the week after. No big deal right? Everyone is happy. So a week or so later, I hear THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE that Zero is leaving the Linkshell with some friends for another server. Say what?! OK, I guess I'll need to find ANOTHER person to fill a hole in the group. Orz. Just when we had things rolling smoothly. When I went to Zero for confirmation, all I get is "yeah", "I'm going with friends". No "Sorry man, sorry I couldn't find a good rep for you, sorry I couldn't give you more time, thanks for having me, I appreciate you and the group helping me to get my Korazin". Now I see why its so hard to lead LS's seeing people use the group to get something they want then bailing. I guess I should have known better as I reflect on how AS AN OFFICER, he never once that I saw passed on an item he wanted for someone else in the shell. Sure he earned everything he lotted on by being at all the sky events but I guess I just expect officers to be more mindful of the members in the shell and at least let a few crumbs fall to the floor right? Orz.

Anyway. So Piuriu and is group of friends decide they are leaving and effectively tearing the heart of the LS out. I will say that Piuriu handled most of the debacle with a lot of class as I would have expected him to, well from what I saw anyway. Others might disagree with me but I didn't see any of what they did and with all the deception that seems to have gone on, its hard to know who to believe. Anyway we had our last sky session last night with them all here. lol. It just turned into a childish load of BS. Some people bailed on the event claiming they didn't want to help those leaving us. Then there were "mis-tells" between other officers that came out in LS chat slagging those leaving, then the pearls of all but the officers were all broken by either one of the officers leaving or one of the ones staying trying to make someone look bad. The Kirin run was brutally slow. There was lots of talk about CFHing, lotting drops that weren't yours to lot, just generally assery from all directions. Orz. The drops were nice. N.body (Infamouszero), Osode (Xyv), shining cloth etc. It was announced that the gil in the bank would be distributed among those who stuck it out so I did. Would be nice to get SOMETHING from this shell. The money drops from the day were also being /randomed on. lol I found it equally annoying and funny to see that Zero lot the Shining cloth (which he won) after getting the N.body. You couldn't have just let someone else have it? (no I wasn't the next highest lot). Just one time? Orz.
So the shell is remaining in tact for now with the remaining members adamant they will revive the shell and keep events going. I have seen this before and as much as I hope they succeed, its usually just a matter of time. So I have made moves to join another shell. I just want to get in somewhere where they do things I want to do (remember the theory above about enjoying the game we pay for each month?), they know what are doing, do it well and are not going to fall apart in the next 6 months (hopefully longer). Somewhere where I can just be. Where I can meet new people, make good friends and feel the loyalty I felt when I was with good shells like Paragon and RogueRiceBalls.

Best of luck to Piuriu and friends on the other server. Hope it was all worth it and you find what is obviously lacking here on Carbuncle.

Orz.

1 comment:

Solus said...

Read on Bubbo's blog about the shell break-up. Sorry to hear about it, but it's not like it's a rare occurance, sadly. Hope you find a good shell to move to.

And congrats on the Nyzule successes. Can't say I'm not jealous, but I never stood a chance at Nyzule gear with my luck anyway, lol.

{Take care!}


-Carth