Thursday, September 25, 2008

Oh, it's ON!

I love Samurai. I love it! I love every aspect about the job and what it can do and am so happy I went ahead and leveled it. I have a few tweaks to go on it till I have it at a point that I'm really happy with but even now in my semi-merited state, I love that I can keep up and even get ahead at times. I loaded up a recommended parser recently which has added a whole new element to a merit party. That element is further enhanced (or is it Augmented now SE? :p) by the inclusion of friends to the party I'm in.

So last night we got a meripo started consisting of Aless (BRD/NIN), Loren (WAR/SAM), Byany (BRD/WHM), myself (SAM/WAR) and 2 really good JP Galka's (WAR/NIN, RDM/WHM) and we were lucky enough to snag the middle bird camp. After the last meripo with these guys, I was very curious to see how my performance had improved against Loren going from 5 GKT merits and no other SAM merits to capped GKT, 1 Overwhelm, 2 STP and 1 Meditate.

Very early on it became apparent to me that I still wasn't quite there yet. The first thing I noticed was the DoT. Each of his swings hitting for around 140-150 to my 90-100 even though I was swinging slightly quicker. Then the WS's started coming. I knew it was going to be a focused party with neither of us really stopping to speak along the way with the exceptions of the odd "hohoho" when tp was tickled away or a WS missed. In the end, while I was very happy with my progress increasing my overall accuracy, WS acc and power, and total damage, it wasn't to be my night as per the snapshot parse results below.


WAR/SAM is certainly THE powerhouse melee in my eyes though SAM/WAR isn't far behind and as I finish off merit categories and tweak my gear, I'm still confident that I will catch up and pass him. One thing I will do differently in a party where I'm TRYING to parse the highest is not wait for others to WS so I can SC off them. I will usually do this as it helps the party with faster kills from the SC damage but I was quite often at 150+ tp by the time a Raging Rush went off. Thats a lot of wasted tp for a job that relies of WS's to keep up in a parse. Keep in mind I'll only be this way in the odd party, not most parties.

Another happy result of the party was my first time to chain 100! I was very focused on the kills and when I finally noticed the chain, we were suddenly at 84, then 96 then BAM! 100.




Finally! lol. The chain ended at 123 as fate conspired to keep us in check. 123 is now my new record. I can't wait to break the 200 cherry now.

Like I said at the beginning, I really love this job and I think my favorite part is doing SC's like the one below after following a Raging Rush. It's all about the epeen!


Earlier in the night I finally got Polearm to cap. Yay! Now to get Impulsive Drive (more for completions sake than anything), a Tomoe (which will be handy for my parry build to cap Parrying skill) and get to work on testing out Penta Spam at bird camp. I'm very interested to see how it stacks up against GKT for myself.


After the party, Byany and I got together to start work on my trials polearm. We got to chatting about the meripo and about how I was curious to see how his NIN that he has been working quite hard on would parse in that type of environment. It would seem my good friend By is very confident...



So now I am gonna look like a total chump and/or Byany is gonna look like a champ. I'm very interested to see. Personally (no offence to NIN's worldwide) I can't see how a NIN can keep up in that type of setting but like I said, I'm very interested to see. I have seen a few NINs in my time pump out some really nice damage and I think By has enough skill and understanding of the job to do the same. Stay tuned for the result!

A quick congrats to Enin on his Nyzul Isle GKT (Windslicer). Rana is a cool WS to have!


Loren and I were working on his Great Axe latent at the Tree one night recently while I was also working on my polearm skill. The venture provided a good a reason why you should never poo poo an NPC for messing with your SC's. You just let them do their thing and go on about your business. They just might save your ass one day!


And lastly, why is it that when I'm around Al, I tend to end up like this? /sigh.


^__^/

No comments: