Friday, October 24, 2008

The ultimate goal

As I alluded to last post, my ultimate goal has become attaining my Maat's cap. I have always thought of myself as a dedicated enough player to this game to have a relic of some sort and while Maat's cap isn't really a relic per say, I figure that it best fits the level of achievement that I can and have reached. I say this because the relic and mythic weapons while awesome to acquire, are just a little out of my league. I sorta put them in the bracket for players who LIVE on this game. Now while I do spend a lot of my free time on FFXI (read: most), I'm not one of those players that attends EVERY event, gets up at all hours of the day or night to claim an NM, and must have all the best gear in the game for my character. I prefer things I can do myself or with small groups of friends and at times that suit my life outside of the game. I also don't put myself in the Relic bracket because I don't have or want to bust my ass for a means to fund it. I like having the gil I have for the things I like with nominal effort/time afforded to it.

So Maat's cap has become my ultimate goal. It is something I can do at my own pace, on my own time, whenever I want to work on it. It's something that won't cost me 10's of millions of gil to reach and will provide a reward that is both relatively rare and extremely useful for most of my jobs especially SAM.

At this point in time, I have 5 level 75 jobs. BLM, BST, RDM, WAR and most recently SAM which I class as my new main. I will continue to merit and buff these jobs as they are the only ones I plan to have at 75 for the foreseeable future. Who knows. I might really love another of these jobs required to level for Maat's cap but after much pondering and thought on which jobs I wanted to take to 75, the only job I can see myself possibly taking to 75 is PLD. POSSIBLY!

So that leaves me with NIN, THF, MNK, WHM, DRK, BRD, SMN, DRG, RNG and PLD remaining to get to 66ish to fight Maat for his hat. As I said last post, I have decided to level NIN to 66 first as it is the job I least like of the 10 and I have soloing options for when I either don't want to party or don't have the time to set aside for it. After NIN, I think I'd like to do a job that will get fast invites and is enjoyable so prehaps BRD, PLD or MNK.

I know I have a very long way to go but I think with the Level Sync system in effect now and the company of friends who are leveling other jobs as well, it will be a fun journey that will also afford me a good base knowledge of all the older jobs in FFXI, allowing me to see how people play these jobs and when to consider someone as having done a great job in a party with me or a substandard one.

As a quick aside, we had 2 quick runs at Nyzul last night originally intended to try and get Enin his Askar body but for some reason he didn't show so we took a shot at 60 with the goal of getting Al her much coveted Askar hands. Both runs went very smooth. The first floor 60 boss was our good friend Cerberus. While we HATE this guy for the Stoneskin spam, he has put out more than any of the other bosses and didn't fail to please this time either.



The 2nd run was decided that we would shoot for 60 again to try and get Byany his Denali hands. Another smooth run was met with the squishy Hydra at the end. After a quick raping, she dropped Goliard hands that no one really desired. Al and I had them far down on our lists so we both lotted. I wouldn't have been upset at all to see them go her way as I have Zenith mitts for nuking but lotted because I knew I would use them whereas Al would only have them for completeness' sake. Now that I have them, I will be using them on RDM for nukes fulltime. The extra magic accuracy will be certainly welcomed.




I laughed at the implied courtesy between us as Al decided on whether or not to lot and then her enormous lot for the loss. LOL!

More and more, we are becoming alike Al and I. Perhaps I need to spend some time away to reclaim my identity? LOL NOWAI! :p


Lastly, any advice from anyone on my Maat's cap journey will be well received. Those who have started or completed their journey there are people I most wish to hear from so don't be afraid to comment here if you have any advice.

No comments: